Renewal of Certification
You will complete your certification renewal through the Provider Certification Wizard on the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities website. You will be required to submit proof of training and a certification fee and undergo a BCII/FBI check. Other information will be requested based on the services you are certified to provide.
If you do not submit a complete renewal application 30 days prior to your certification expiration, you may not work or be paid during the time your certification is in expired status. You will be assigned a new certification date, based on the date your certification renewal is processed by DODD.
Follow the steps below to renew your certification:
• Get a background check. Please note it may take up to 30 days for your background check to get from BCII to DODD.
o If you have not lived in Ohio for the past 5 years, you will also need a FBI check.
o Click here and enter information to search for a Web-Check location in your area.
o For the BCI check, indicate the reason for fingerprinting as 5123.169 or "Applicant for a supported living certificate." If you have not lived in Ohio for the past 5 years and also need a FBI check, use the reason 5123.28 Employment with DODD.
Ask for your background check results to be sent directly to the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities.
Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities
Office of Provider Certification
30 E. Broad St. 13th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
• Go to the Provider Certification Wizard to complete your renewal application. Once you log into your account from the DODD home page, go to the blue box at the bottom left corner of the page. Click on "Providers" then click on "Provider Certification Wizard."
• All necessary documents must be uploaded to your application prior to submitting your application and making payment. The system will not allow you to submit your application and process your payments until there is something uploaded for each required document.
• You will need to submit the following information to DODD:
Click on the Training link at the right for resources.
*You may be asked for additional information based on the services you have selected to provide.
- Most recent MUI training
- Most recent Individual Rights training
- Most recent training in Roles and Responsibilities of the Provider regarding Person Centered Planning, Community Integration, Self-Determination, and Self-Advocacy.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification
- Current driver’s license or state ID
- Vehicle Insurance (if providing transportation services)
- Driver’s abstract less than 14 days old (if providing transportation services). Clickhere for an certified copy of your driving record. DODD will not accept the unofficial copy.
o Do not send in information prior to submitting an application. DODD will not have any way to attach the information to your application.
o If you receive an email from DODD certification requesting additional information for your application, respond directly to that email with your information. Once your application goes into “Under Review with Specialist” status, you will receive an email. DO NOT respond to the email that has this information. This will slow down the certification process. If you need to contact someone in the certification unit, compose a new email to Provider.Certification@dodd.ohio.gov.
o If you are asked for a Letter of Intent, you have most likely changed something in your contact information (address, phone, email.) You will need to write a statement regarding why the change was made (moved, new service provider for phone number, etc.)